Inception of a Block Print Idea







Don gave me two novels by Frans Masereel for Christmas (one was entitled Passionate Journey and the other God's Man).  The novels had no text - the story was told by the author using wood cut block prints.  The former novel was written (or rather carved in 1919).  Don thought that the novels would provide a springboard of ideas for me and future block prints.  What I found fascinating was the depiction of people in various types of activities; and the rough lines of the cuts (since the prints were done initially in wood).  I have included some of the block prints to give an idea of what was printed.  Using the ideas generated by the novels - I decided to look for pictures that I felt may translate into a block print using the technique Masereel used in his blocks.   I found a subject for my block print – drew it first as a pencil line drawing and then converted it into a drawing that I will transpose onto a block for cutting.

The first few pictures are from Masereel’s novel, Passionate Journey – this is followed by my line drawing of my picture intended for the block cut and then the transcription of my line drawing for the block

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evolution of an Art Project - Follow the Pictures and the Respective Steps